Sunday, March 27, 2011

Letter from Peter Hysen [Lysne] to Anders ROE (1875)



Letter. Peter Hysen [Lysne] to Andres RAAE. (1875). Images courtesy of Verla Williams.

Risland
___ 22, 75

Good friend Andres Raae,

It has been a long time since we have been in contact with each other and I have been very ill since I last talked to you. So today I want see if I can write a few words to let you know how I am. I can thank God that I can at least sit up for a while during the day so that the day does not seem so long. It has now been over five weeks that I have been bedridden. I have had three (doctors?) see me but there has been little improvement. My illness affects my liver and kidney and also arthritis so I am now as weak as a baby because it has now been over three weeks since I have eaten other than enough to keep me alive. I must tell you that the rest of the people are hale and hardy. (The wheat looks better than it has for many years.) Write back and tell me how you are doing up there at your place. I have to end because my hand is shaking so from your friend Peter to you Andres Raae.

Father and mother send a friendly greeting to you and family.

I will give you more information when I get a little stronger. I think that you won't be able to read this scribble so what you can't understand you will have to guess.

So good night from your friend Peter Hysen I almost forgot to tell you that Peter Overgaard and young Johanes's wife died and now old Johanes has sold some land and bought a farm Steel Count.

Translation: Solveig Quinney, Norwegian American Genealogical Center & Naeseth Library.

No comments: