Sunday, March 27, 2011

Letter from John O. ROE to Anders ROE (26 May 1874)


Letter. John O. ROE to Anders RAAE (26 May 1874). Images courtesy of Verla Williams.

Le Roy, P.O. Mower, Minnesota
May 26, 1874

Good Friend!

I received your letter of the 15th a long time ago and I am ashamed for not having written back to you and ask you for your forgiveness. The reason is that I promised you a portrait and I have still not had it done. So I will still answer your letter but I will send you one in a letter later because the one who takes portraits will not be back until fall. I see that you are all well as of the date of your letter which makes me happy and I can report to you in my letter that I am hale and hearty as of now. Thanking God for being so kind and good to me by making me healthy and well.

I can now tell you that we have had a hard spring, after the start of spring we had a snowstorm and the snow we got was more than anything we had during the winter and it lay for over a week so there was no spring weather until the middle of May. Since that time the fields have been very dry and do not look good but we hope for a nice fall and pray to God for abundance and His blessings on both fields and pastures.

I don't have any news to tell you but I ask you to please greet David from me next time you write to him. I don't have anything else to write this time so I will end my simple and unintelligible letter with a sincere and friendly greetings to all of you and wishing God's blessings on you from your devoted friend John O. Roe to Anders Raae.

Write back and don't say you can't because I can't write either and then it will be a long time before I answer your letter so I ask you to write since I know you can. You can look at my example of someone who can't write. (JRaa)

Translation: Solveig Quinney, Norwegian American Genealogical Center & Naeseth Library.

No comments: