Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Letter from Anna to Anders ROE (4 Mar 1879)


Letter. Anna to Anders ROE (4 Mar 1879). Images courtesy of Verla Williams.

Amherst March 4th 1879

Dear Brother,

I have received your letter of 3 Feb for which thanks. I see thereof you all are healthy, the same I can also tell. I am now come home and will be home a while. Drina shall move away to serve. I have no news except that Jørgen Skogen is married to an old bachelor whom they call Long Ever who lives in Amherst. In addition, that Asa Mitchem is married to a Norwegian girl by the name Kornene Oleson. I can also tell that Dr. Guernsey has broken his leg for the second time but is now improving and goes on his crutches. It will be desirable if you will send me a hair lock of each of you. I have intentions of learning to make hair flowers. So I will make a hair wreath which shall contain hair of our entire family. We have had a passably good winter without many cold days. We did not get sleighing conditions before the end of Feb. but now it appears that we lose our snow. It is very mild. Ole is home. Father has been away at a quarterly[?] meeting in Tremplo. There were many ministers of different groups [synods?] but most of our own, so I close for this time with a loving greeting to you all from me.

Anna Roe

No comments: