Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Letter from Ole Fredriksen to Elsa ROE (14 Jun 1879)



Letter. Ole Fredriksen to Elsa (Fredriksen) ROE (14 Jun 1879). Image courtesy of Verla Williams.

Dear daughter Elsa and family,

As I send these lines to you and intend to relate about my situation and that which is befallen me in that my dear beloved wife is departed by death which occurred the 26 May in childbed. The birth went successfully so she was delivered of a beautiful and shapely child but after 4 hours she slept away. Probably not of childbirth, but of another sickness she for a long time has had under her bust.

I sit now again in a helpless state and have lost my only support which I had in the world and sigh and grieve over my sad story. She was to me as a mother both in the _____ and earthly at the time of my sickness and weakness which I now have had for 8[?] years. The Lord rewards her therefore in the _____ land so I hope that she is freed from all distress because she had God and His word for _____ daily while she lived. I thank her heartily for each day of the 12 years we were together. She has born us 6 children in all, of which 4 are dead and which we hope she is in the company of in eternity.

My new born child has been and is still at the house of Jens Nilsen, and thrives good to this time. My son Carl is now 9 1/2 years old, is understanding but boisterous _____ but rather not particularly strong in health. My sickness is about the same, so it is the greatest part of the time I must support me in the chairs, and how dark the end appears for my future _____ so I trust me by God's mercy that he who has sustained me until this day will still not abandon me in the few days I still can have to live. _____ this alone that Jesus died for me and that I in Him have free access to God's father heart. This is my greatest comfort and so stand fast when all things perish. And this will I hereby ask you my dear daughter that you seek for all things that have part in ____ the release which is _____ by Jesus our and all the world's Savior so that we could gather with joy in the blessed eternity. Here in this life is not other than distress and misery. I send you my portrait which is taken before I got this sickness which can serve thereto that you have a picture of your father after I am dead. To close to husband and children loving greetings from me your mourning burdened father.

The others are healthy, _____ conditions good here around us for the time and the yield stand good and promising to this time. Be so good and write me shortly so I can know how you have it.

Amherst 14 Jun 1879
Ole Fredriksen

I have written this letter greeting you that we all are well.
Asbjørn H. Raae

No comments: