Thursday, March 31, 2011

Letter from David L. ROE to Anders ROE (28 Dec 1871)


Letter. David L. ROE to Anders RAA (28 Dec 1871). Images courtesy of Verla Williams.
 
St. Lawrence, Dec. 28th/71

Dear Friend! Anders Raa and family.

After such a long time I must take my pen and try to write you a few lines but it has been so long and I am so ashamed.

I must then first tell you that we are all healthy as of now and hope we hear the same from you. I don't have any news to tell you. At this time it is cold and we have from 10 to 18 inches of deep snow. I have stayed home almost the entire time other than eight months starting in spring when I was at a sawmill up by Stevens Point and earning $26 a month. Anders and Johannes were also there.

There is now quite lively Pinery works here and the pay is about $30.00 a month but I am not going to go there since we have cleared about 6 acres and have worked almost the entire winter to get rid of all the trees. We had quite a miserable year, the wheat was so miserable that many did not want to harvest it. We planted 16 bushels and got back 33 but the winter wheat was what we would call good we planted 7 acres and got back 85 bushels. Oats 139, rye 29, grain and potatoes were somewhat good. The railroad is running and going to Stevens Point also Green Bay and the Lake Pepin track is finished to New London, about 25 miles east of here.

I must end my disjointed writing with a sincere greeting from all of us and to wish all of
you a wonderful New Year.

Your devoted David L. Roe
Write back soon.

Translation: Solveig Quinney, Norwegian American Genealogical Center & Naeseth Library.

No comments: