Saturday, March 26, 2011

Letter from John O. ROE to Anders ROE (14 Feb 1876)


Letter. Johan O. ROE to Anders A. ROE (14 Feb 1876). Images courtesy of Verla Williams.

Le Roy [MN], February 14, 1876

Dear Friend,

After being so terribly long in neglecting to respond I take my pen to send you some words to let you know how I am living. I am and have been to date healthy and find myself well. And I have to tell you that the weather has been very good. Haagen O. Grøthe that you know, and I have bought some land. Plowed and all planted with wheat and we harvested 972 bushels of the same. Your brother Ole, as you probably know worked in Minnesota this summer. He stopped by on his way home, stayed here about a week and left two days before Christmas and continued on his way in the company of David L. Roe and Cristina Monson. The latter two mentioned came back a long time ago. What was acquired and witnessed and ratified or if nothing was done, I don't know.

This is a really old and moldy settlement. There is no entertainment, marriages or any activity happening here. They are all, as I must say, like sheep in this muggy atmosphere and I have no news to report. So I will now end my simple writing with a dear greeting to you Anders A. Roe, your wife, and children from me, Johan O. Roe.

Write back.

Translation: Solveig Quinney, Norwegian American Genealogical Center & Naeseth Library

No comments: