Friday, March 25, 2011

Letter from D. L. ROE to Anders ROE (23 Sep 1877)


Letter. D[avid?]. L. ROE to Anders RAA (23 Sep 1877). Images courtesy of Verla Williams.

Le Roy, Minn. Sep 23rd, /77

My often remembered friend Anders!

Your long awaited letter has arrived, and many thanks especially for the enclosed item.

The next time you write you must tell me the name of the little one. I must then tell you in old Norwegian fashion that I am healthy and agile and living well.

We are now busy with the thrashing, tomorrow we will be on our way to G. O. Roe to find out the size of his harvest and at the same time I can tell you that he is now married. I don't know how long ago it was but it was right before the harvest. I don't think you know his wife, it has not been that long ago since she came from Norway. Her name is or was Tøri Oveson from Lærdal. She is a big strong woman, weighing about 160 Ibs more over than under and I believe she is a clever wife.

We had an exceptionally good harvest this year of both wheat and oats. Mons got a little over 26 bushels per acre for wheat. Price per bushel here in Le Roy is from .86 to .89. So at this time the farmers are in pretty good moods. I am happy to hear that the grasshoppers have left you even if there are few that have anything to harvest this year there is hope that it will be better for you next year. Perhaps Jackson will get out of the mud yet.

Where is your brother Ole? I have heard that he has started drinking but I hope that it is not true. Not much to write and will therefor end for this time with a dear greeting to all of you.

From your friend D. L. Roe

I hope you keep your promise and write to me. DR

Translation: Solveig Quinney, Norwegian American Genealogical Center & Naeseth Library 

No comments: